- Network covering practically the whole of Germany. Some trains go as far as Zürich or Interlaken in Switzerland and Vienna in Austria
- trains run on hourly service
- speed up to 280 km/h (174 miles)
- 1st-class and 2nd-class compartments. In addition dining and self-service bistro car
- the latest ICE trains are high-speed trains with special carriages that tilt in the bends (tilting cars) thus enabling trains to maintain speed in bends. These trains also have panorama carriages.
- fully “non-smoking” trains except for front and back carriages
- all seats have individual video screens, earphones and plug-ins for computers, laptops and notebooks
- special section for mobile telephone facilities
- Reservation not compulsory, except for 1st-class in ICE Sprinter early in the morning from Munich to Frankfurt am Main and vice versa (not applicable for later return trains). Yet reservation is recommended!!
- Eurail Passes and Eurailtickets accepted (please make sure that your Pass or ticket covers the entire section)